Friday, February 24, 2017

Let's Talk About Disappointment.

I Suck At Fishing:

How often have you muttered those words in your head after getting skunked. If you're anything like me, quite often. Maybe not After one bad day, or two... but honestly i haven't caught a fish yet this year, not one single fish, and trust me... i've tried (i've fallen in the water twice in the past week though so that's something). From targeting the obvious winter catches of cutthroat and steelhead to less likely species like catfish and bluegill, i've tried, and repeatedly failed. And i'm starting to think that i actually do suck at fishing. I mean, i know i dont really, there is a ton of proof that i know how to catch fish and i also know that this time of year can be particularly tough. And let's face it, as the old adage goes, it's "fishing" not "catching" and occasionally we all have a run of bad luck. But all that doesn't help alleviate the nagging feelings of self doubt that can sometimes creep in during a dry spell.

Occasionally in the winter i'll get pretty disappointed in myself as an angler as a result of extended skunking. Do i still go fishing? yes, of course i do. It's my passion and I take so much more away from my fishing experiences than just the thrill and excitement of catching fish. Who doesn't relish the peaceful calm that comes from engaging in an activity that is mostly patience and technique, the fresh air, hiking, taking photos, watching wildlife, i love it all. I just love being outdoors and around water.

But what do i do to keep my chin up and my mind focused on fishing while the fish are few and far between? Practice, practice, practice. I rig a bunch of rods up to fish techniques that i enjoy that may have success on the water i plan to fish and i head out, focusing not on the idea of catching fish but on practicing and keeping my skills sharp and fresh in my mind. It's a very simple concept but it really does help keep those negative thoughts away.

Of course no angler is perfect and this doesn't always work for me, for example, yesterday was my birthday and all i wanted was to catch something, anything. It Would have been awesome to get my first fish of the year on my birthday. I set up four rods. A heavy Texas rig for bass, a small silver spoon for cutthroat and rainbow, a Carolina rig for catfish and a tiny jig under a float for bluegill and crappie. I visited two lakes, three ponds and one river. I actually started the day with high hopes (as one normally does when they set off to go fishing.) but those hopes started to fade as i slowly got skunked at every turn. "Practice, practice, practice" just wasn't enough to keep me focused and happy. And as i left my final location and walked back to the truck i couldn't help but think about how much i must suck at fishing.
Sunrise at Mill lake.
A curious squirrel at Whonnock lake 
Blue skies over the Alouette river.

Sitting there, wallowing in my ineptitude, wondering what i've been doing wrong, I started to laugh to myself. This is because i had realised that it was almost exactly a year since i last had the same feelings. Winter fishing had beat me once again and i was acting ridiculous. I ended up catching fish eventually last winter, and though last years dry spell wasn't nearly as long, i know i will catch fish again. I gave my head a shake and collected my thoughts as i sat there, filled with hope and anticipation knowing that maybe, just maybe as soon as tomorrow or next week i'll break this streak and land a fish. And so next time i'm on the water i'll put those negative thoughts out of my mind as best i can and go back to tried and true techniques and practice, practice, practice as i take in all the beauty and wonder nature provides along the way. It's only a matter of time before the conditions are more in my favor or my luck improves. Here's wishing you all the best of luck on the water, during the winter months, and in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment